On February 16, 2018, 14 year old Natalie and her classmates traveled 621 miles from El Paso to attend DBDT’s student matinee for the Cultural Awareness series.
As a young African American girl, Natalie later spoke passionately about the emotional experience she had seeing dancers who looked like her perform on stage. While she had no dance training, she eagerly proclaimed that she wanted to pursue dance in college so that she could be like the dancers. As she recounted her favorite sections from Matthew Rushing’s Tribute her eyes brimmed with tears. She described in detail how learning about the history of Black Dance in America deepened her cultural understanding.
Natalie’s story is just one of many similar stories of young students experiencing the beauty of dance for the first time. For many African American youth, this may be their only opportunity to see professional dancers who look like them perform on stage. They learn that they too can excel in the arts or pursue their dreams.
YOUR support unleashes a realm of possibilities in a young child’s life.
They learn that through hard work and determination, they can pursue their dreams.
Will YOU join us in impacting the next generation through the power of dance?
Donations of $25 or more receive bonus funds from the Communities Foundation of Texas, making your gift go further.
How will YOU make an impact?
• $25: Admission for 5 students to attend a student matinee
• $50: 1 outreach class for low-income students in North Texas schools
• $100: 1 masterclass for an Academy student to work with a professional guest choreographer
• $250: 1 class/week semester tuition for a low-income child to attend DBDT Academy
• $500: 1 lecture/demonstration or mini-performance for a local school or organization
• $750: Tuition for 1 aspiring dancer to receive pre-professional dance training during DBDT’s 2-week Summer Intensive
• $1,000: Tuition for 3 students to learn about mental and physical health through dance during DBDT’s 3-week Summer Enrichment Youth Dance Workshop
Frequently Asked Questions
What is North Texas Giving Day? – North Texas Giving Day is an annual 18-hour online giving event presented by Communities Foundation of Texas. Through one easy-to-use platform, you can support your favorite local nonprofits – like Dallas Black Dance Theatre!
How can I support DBDT? – Starting at 6:00am central on Thursday, September 20th click here to make a donation. Giving closes at midnight.
How can I encourage others to give? – Share our posts with your friends and family. Be sure to include #NTxGivingDay and #WhyIGive.
I’m busy on September 20th, can I still participate? – YES! Starting September 10th, schedule your gift to Dallas Black Dance Theatre through your online donor profile, and rest easy knowing you’ve made an impact on children in Dallas.
Can’t give financially? – Your time is also money! Volunteer opportunities are available for DBDT’s DanceAfrica on Saturday, October 6th.
Still have questions? – We have answers! (214) 871-2376 | email@example.com